Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Spark of Recognition from Confessions of a Shopaholic!

I have recently become engrossed Sophie Kinsella’s fantastic series of “Shopaholic” books which were recently given a Hollywood make-over with the fabulous Isla Fisher brilliantly bringing shopper extraordinaire Becki Bloomwood to life. Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad. Any of this sound familiar to you? Because as I read the books and watched the movie it all seemed remarkably familiar to me – the passion for fashion; the giddy allure of shops with fashion floors, beauty departments and, best of all, actual, dedicated shoe rooms!; the flexible friend becoming increasingly less friendly the more it was used (hmm, perhaps the less said about that the better!!) The series’ heroine, Becki Bloomwood, could be me in my pre-recessionista life. Not now of course. I am soooo much more under control these days; I know when to shop and when to stop. Honestly. I do. Well, sometimes. Not always. Occasionally, then. Shall we settle on that?!?


I do try my best to keep my wallet in my handbag (but it is so pretty it deserves to be brought out into the light – thanks Liz, and welcome home!) but shopping is just so much fun. Clothes and accessories aren’t only functional to me. They are a means of expressing my personality, my mood, who I want to be on any given day. Am I feeling girlie in pink and purple? Or perhaps I am strong and fiery in red? Or sombre and serious in black (rarely the latter, I can tell you - I take after my gorgeous mother who, both in personality and dress, is a sunbeam of brightness and colour every day). And of course colour is just the start, then there are the handbags to highlight or, depending on the mood, contrast, what I am wearing and the accessories to pick up whatever colours I have going on, not to mention my make-up.



And then there are the shoes, oh the lovely shoes. Being teeny tiny means I rely on heels a lot to make me appear to be a relatively normal height. And the choices are endless. I may be short but I am definitely not short of shoes! Sometimes when I open my wardrobe I get hit on the head by falling shoes as the ones I wear only semi-regularly (or, ahem, not at all!) are piled on the top shelf and over-flowing, just a little! But a girl has to have options and I am very easy on shoes so once I buy them I keep them for years and years whether they are from Penneys or Prada. Ha! I wish, sadly though, they are never from Prada. Prada may be my mother-ship but Penney’s is the budgetary-dinghy of my life!



Speaking of shoes, a friend tipped me off to a great new eBay store where bids for new shoes start at just €1.49. She has bought a pair of boots which are absolutely gorgeous and great quality and is already after her second pair. I couldn’t believe it and couldn’t wait to have a look for myself. There is a lovely selection but one pair in particular caught my eye. They have gorgeous lilac suede boots with a wedge heel which I fell completely in love with on sight. If you are a shoe fiend like myself check it out! http://myworld.ebay.ie/simplysellingshoes



I was sick last week and feeling really sorry for myself. I can honestly say I have never had a real flu before because this really wiped me out completely. Now I know the difference between a cold and an actual flu and boy are they two different animals! I was still feeling pretty grim going back to work on Monday but was brightened up no end when I found a package awaiting me when I arrived in the office. I had ordered a bracelet from eBay a couple of weeks ago and it had been delivered to work while I was off. Yippee, what a way to start the week! At the time the seller had said he noticed a tiny flaw with the bracelet I had bought so he was sending me a free one in addition to it. The ‘flaw’ is virtually invisible as it turns out; the bracelet is practically perfect and I got a free one as an extra. Very impressive Ebaying if you ask me.



The bracelets are really beautiful porcelain and gold with a flower design on them. The one I ordered is purple with gold and white flowers but the extra one is even nicer – turquoise with pink and gold flowers. Really, that one is the prettiest thing I have seen in a long time and I am thrilled with it. Even more so since, by pure coincidence, I got a jumper in the sale I Oasis on Saturday for just €4.80 (down from €40!) which is the exact same turquoise. I think I am developing a new fondness for that colour! If you like colourful, quality jewellery I would suggest you check out their stuff at  http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/Bangles4less



Now that I think of it, there are a lot of similarities between Becki Bloomwood, The World’s #1 Shopaholic, and myself. Perhaps I should begin to worry. But then, the next book in the series is called Shopaholic Ties The Knot so if the similarities continue maybe my love life is about to take a turn for the better. Now just think of all the excuses I’d have to buy new outfits for hot dates if that happened……!

PLEASE NOTE: You can now email your comments to fashionistarecessionista@hotmail.com or leave feedback on my facebook page Fashionista Recessionista and you can follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/fashionistarece